Dave Lenihan is here on Friday with the Rock 'n' Roll years.
- If Aliens landed in Chippenham, how would you describe your programme to them?
- They’d probably already know about rock ‘n’ roll because Johnny B Goode has been beamed into outer space since 2008 thanks to a NASA sponsorship. And of course Billy Lee Riley was backed by the Little Green Men from Mars and sang about how they taught us to rock in “Flying Saucers Rock ‘n’ roll”. So I’d tell them that it’s a two hour show playing rock ’n’ roll from predominantly the 1950’s, plus songs that gave birth to this phenomenon and also those that have kept the music alive to this day from every corner of the globe.
- What’s your favourite song of all time?
- I could say “Blast Off” by the Stray Cats following the last question because it refers to giving Mr. Spock a pompadour, but actually there are too many for me to choose from
- What’s your favourite flavour of crisps?
- Cheese and Onion does the biz at the moment, depends on the brand too.
- The first Album you bought?
- I remember the first single, “Jungle Rock” by Hank Mizzell. First album could be by Eddie Cochran, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry or The Jets. Been a lot of album purchases since then, too much shaking going on to remember.
- Who or what makes you laugh?
- Long list, but try to keep it short… Laurel & Hardy, Morecambe & Wise, Harry Hill, Norman Wisdom, Jerry Lewis, original Reggie Perrin. Playing my guitar!
- If you had a celebrity friend/partner who would it be?
- My wife is fantastic and is already a star in my opinion. I’d love to have Harry Hill as a mate and would enjoy Brian Setzer coming around to show him a trick or two on the guitar. Of course it would have been great to hang out with Bill Haley, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Woody Herman or Howling Wolf to name but a few of my idols.
- The best thing about Chippenham?
- It’s home. I lived in south Wiltshire for many years and have many fond memories of being there. Chippenham is where I have settled and most people reading this know why.